Bitterness can be very strong negative feeling that can create havoc in every part of our life.
Bitterness is something like “You drinking the poison but expecting the other to die !”.
Always try to respond to a situation and not react.
If we examine why we are bitter ? We are bitter because,
– something didn’t work out as we expected it to ?
– someone didn’t respond to us as we expected them to ?
– someone treated us very badly ?
– we didn’t get something that we desperately wanted ?
– when our expectations are broken…
All these lead to our bitterness
Now let’s have a look on all the things that bitterness can easily kill…
– your relationship with God
– your health
– your mind
– your personality
– your work life
– your family life
We can always give justification as to why we are feeling bitter. We do feel justified. We say thing like I have no future…He spoiled everything…But wait…Do we really know our future ? Isn’t it in the hands of God ? Commit your future to the hands of God. Bible say’s lean not on your own understanding…
Doesn’t the Bible say
“We know that all things work together for good to those who love God….”
Bitterness leads to as said in the Bible.
– rage [Violent uncontrollable anger]
– anger [A strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility]
– brawling [A rough or noisy fight or quarrel]
– slander [The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person’s reputation]
– every form of malice 
Look at the Joseph’s life. If he had choose the path of bitterness against God instead of placing complete faith in the Lord he would not have been where he is right now.
A quick look at his life in terms of a graph which I found on Internet…
Steps to follow :
– recognize that your are bitter.
– pray to God about the bitterness.
– pray to God about the things or person your are bitter about.
– be honest with God.
– share your bitterness with the group of your close friends and ask for their prayers.
– forgive the bitterness
– forget the bitterness : this can be very easy with the help of holy spirit.
Pray Pray Pray…
FORGIVE AND FORGET ! I know its has to do this but always pray to God about your situation and it will resolve the issue.
What does Bible say about it ?
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me”
“Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy”
“In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry”
“Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”
“Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.”
“And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”
“Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.”
Further links for your study :